Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Off To The Races...

Kayak races that is!  2nd annual for this family but 52nd annual for the Fox Valley Park District.  This is a lot of fun, hundreds and hundreds of people come out every year for this amazingly well organized event!  The Mid-American Canoe and Kayak Race.



I'm not sure I could have done anything that involved my legs after Saturday so this worked out perfect!  I got up & dressed for a hot day on the river, came down for my morning coffee and to get breakfast started only to realize it was 49 degrees outside!  Say What??!!

I got the breakfast pizza in the oven...recipe here


and managed a quick wardrobe change, had to put on longer pants and another layer, just in time for the crew to show up.  Both of the boys go and usually various friends.  This year our family friends, known as "the girls", joined in the fun.  The husband usually tags along and after we get going he sets off down river to find a fishing spot along our route.  The TEENAGER complained about going (shocking I know), Boy #2 was ecstatic (he went solo this year) and the girls thoroughly enjoyed themselves.  They usually do!

There are two distances, we do the shorter one that is 6 miles (I think?) with only 1 portage.  We all got through it, everyone stayed in the boats and in the girls vs. boys race...

The GIRLS BEAT the TEENAGER by 5 seconds.  He thought the race was over when you got out of the water so he passed them quick at the end and hurried to get out but the race actually ended at the finish line which was just past the bridge.  I guess he doesn't know everything yet.  I stayed pretty close to boy #2 and we didn't break any speed records but he did go the distance by himself.

Lunch and beer after shaped the day up pretty nicely.  You just can't beat a good day on the river!


No comments:

Post a Comment