Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Silver Lake and the Dunes

The husband likes to fish for Father's Day, originally we were going to camp in Ludington (via the S.S. Badger) where the fishing is supposed to be fantastic.  Full discloser - I don't fish, I don't want to fish and I don't know anything about it, so when I say that, it's because I read it somewhere.  Anyway, after some research, I decided Silver Lake might be better to set up camp to cut out of some of the driving for activities I knew we would be interested in.  So, I switched gears and made a reservation at Sandy Shores Campground in Mears, MI.  It was a short 30 minute drive off the boat from Ludington.  More on the actual camping later...

There is so much to do in the area.  We packed our long weekend full of fun and still didn't get to everything!  Friday morning we went horseback riding at Rainbow Ranch.  The TEENAGER is a little old for this type of riding but he went and seemed to enjoy himself and boy #2 loved it!  I really wanted to do the creek ride but with all the rain this spring it wasn't an option, we did the regular trail ride instead.  Friday afternoon we went for a ride on the dunes with Mac Wood's.  We even got my Dad to go with us!  The ride goes by Silver Lake and Lake Michigan and the driver stops along the way with various information about the dunes.  When we got to Lake Michigan, fog was rolling in.  I'd never seen that before, I thought it was sand blowing at first.


Lake Michigan

Saturday we rented buggies at Silver Lake Buggy's.  When we got out on the dune's, it was like a hidden world, I couldn't believe it.  People were parked along the dunes bordering Lake Michigan, there were people drag racing, people just climbing the dunes in whatever vehicles they have and people just park along the borders and hang out and play in the sand.  It was a lot of fun, the husband and teenager have decided this is a new sport for them.  When we were on the Mac Wood's ride, the driver said on holiday weekends they can get up to 2,000 people out there and that people come from all over the county to get on these dunes.

ORV's in the dunes


Sunday the boys all went salmon fishing on Lake Michigan.  Both of the boys hated it, but the husband thoroughly enjoyed his Father's Day so that was all that mattered.  It's a good thing he enjoyed it too, because I don't think he'll convince either of the boys to do that type of fishing with him again.  It's too much of a commitment for them and I think they both got a little sick but everyone caught a fish!  I guess that makes it a successful fishing trip?  I don't really know.

Sunday afternoon it was sunny and 80 and I spent the whole afternoon at the beach.  The best day so far.  I used my SUP! I used my beach chair and kept my feet buried in the sand for several hours.   I didn't use sunscreen and got a sunburn (I know, I know) but I was just so happy to finally have a hot sunny afternoon, I just wanted to soak in as much sun as I could. 

Silver Lake


We went to the West Michigan Sand Dragway Saturday night.  They started early due to the threat of rain so we missed all the action but it looked like it would be lots of fun to watch.

A bike ride on The Hart-Montague Trail was on my list of things to do Sunday morning while the boys were out fishing.  It rained Saturday night so by the time I got things cleaned up and my bike seat dried out, I was expecting the boys back and wanted to head to the beach so I just never made it.  Also on my list was a kayaking trip on the White River.  Next time!

Sunday late afternoon we went down the road to check out the lighthouse.  There are tours available and sometime I would like to do that, but there wasn't time for that on this trip.  We had to get back for the Father's Day fish fry!


I love Michigan and this is why!  Every time I'm there I just fall in love all over again! 

Silver Lake, with it's near endless list of things to do, is a new favorite for this family.  I can't wait until I can plan our next visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment