Saturday, July 27, 2013

Overnight at Warren Dunes

In the early spring or maybe late winter I was looking at my calendar and two things stood out to me.  First, I had two weekends with nothing planned in July.  That just seems like a waste of a summer weekend to me.  Second, with everything I did have planned, I didn't have a beach day.  I know I've said it before but here's the deal...I love the sun and I love the beach!  I knew by the time summer  sports wrapped up I would be dying for beach time so I got online and booked a site at Warren Dunes State Park.  Warren Dunes is one of my fav places, I don't know if I could bear to go through a summer without a visit.  The beach is so pretty and so close to home, it's an easy drive.  The dunes are fun to climb up and the river that goes back to the clay always provides plenty of entertainment (translation: people watching).  By the time I was doing all of this, I could only get a site for Saturday night, another overnight camping trip!
Warren Dunes State Park

I told all of our friends, beach day July 20, put it on your calendar!  When it came time to go, it worked out that just half of one family could go.  Our friend (who doesn't camp) and her freshman daughter along with six of her friends met us there and spent the day.  None of those kids had ever been to the Dunes before so I filled them in on what to do and they were off!  Not to be seen again until they needed food and water.  Neither of our kids went for different reasons so it was kind of funny to have all these girls running around.  We had lunch ourselves and then headed to the beach.  It was hot and had been really hot for a week or so, the lake felt great! 

This was the first time we had ever camped at the State Park.  In the past, we've camped around there in private campgrounds then just drove to the park.  The campground itself is kind of narrow so it makes navigating with a long trailer behind a big pickup a little tricky.  The sight I had reserved was just at the beginning and a corner lot so the husband got the trailer in pretty quickly and easily.  If we had been back further in the campground, it would have been a nightmare!  The campground was full so there were cars, people and other various camping paraphernalia scattered around a very narrow campground.
 
Our friend and her kids all loaded up and went home, leaving us to ourselves.  We had some dinner then just hung out.  The husband said so this is what camping is like when my wife doesn't have 30 activities planned!  Hmmm, I think he is bitter about the bike repairs from Devil's Lake.

The trailer is parked now until it's time to head to Table Rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment