Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Bees

Remember I said I was becoming an amateur bee keeper?  The bees are here!  I picked them up last week.  It was fun, something different for sure.  There is a lot more to bee keeping than just ordering 3 pounds of bees.  Who knew those little things were so complicated?  Feeder buckets, Pollen pellets, marshmallows.



Here they are...9 pounds of bees!  Each of those little boxes has 3 pounds of bees in there.  It was cool the day they came home, sunny and 40's.  I guess they stay huddled up like that to stay warm.  That's good when you're transporting them.



This is my friend, he is my expert instructor.  He's had bees for a few years so he is teaching me everything he knows and we'll learn the rest together.  He lost all of his bees over the winter so he replaced his when I got mine.  My bees are at his house, I guess they work better when there are 3 or 4 boxes.  I'm not really sure about all that, I just know it's better.  He also has a huge garden so there is a lot pollen around for them.  My dog wouldn't get along with the bees at my house either.



There they go...right into their new home.  We just took the little aluminum can out of the box they come in and got the queen out.  The queen comes in this little tiny screened in box with a plug in the bottom and you replace that plug with a marshmallow.  The bees eat on that marshmallow for a few days until they get through to the queen.  Then you put a feeder bucket in there with sugar water and a pollen pellet to get them through a few weeks until things start blooming, put the lid on and that's it.

Supposedly I should have honey in 3-4 months.  My Dad is getting bees this year too, I think he is bringing his home this weekend.  He is keeping them in the clover at the farm.  Someone said that will be really sweet honey.  Who knew!  The honey tastes different based on what kind of pollen they have.  I guess it makes sense, I just never really thought about it.

I'm always up for trying a new adventure or hobby.  And having fresh honey will give me a reason to try lots of new recipes!  Who knows, maybe it will turn into a business.  The husband always says he would love it if one of my hobbies actually earned money :)









 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment