Saturday, June 8, 2013

Illinois PaddleFest 2013

This is how my day started...After a late night at the local watering hole with the husband, I got up early for my group exercise class and decided I should run (or at the very least, walk) there and back.  It's only 1.5 miles one way but I had a monster headache so it was challenging.  Anyway, I did it, and of course, felt a lot better after.  I despise group exercise, I like training one on one with my trainer but the group thing just really isn't for me.  I take this class because it's a core class and I need it and the trainer that teaches it is GREAT so I endure.

The Illinois Paddlesports Festival was this weekend in Aurora, IL.  A friend and I signed up for two classes, stroke improvement (it's a paddling term) and kayak rolling.  The friend totally bailed on me but I still went alone.  When I got there to sign in, the class schedule was different from the schedule online.  The only rolling class was the earlier time and the later time was all intro classes that wouldn't be appealing to me.  After a little switching around, I was in the rolling class.  I don't have my own boat but the instructor let me use his.

I did really good at the beginning!  I couldn't believe it, really.  I flipped myself over and did a wet exit with no problem at all & I was practicing edging with great control.  I practiced hip-snaps and it felt great and I wasn't having any trouble flipping the boat back up.  The instructor spent a good 30 minutes with me practicing hip-snaps.  Then it was time for him to work with someone else so I paddled off for a spin around the lake.  I have no idea what I did BUT just like that...I was upside down.  I totally panicked too!  I couldn't flip the boat over and I couldn't get out of the boat either.  There I was in the middle of the lake, flopping around, attached to an upside down kayak, trying to keep my head above water until the instructor could get over and rescue me.  It scared me to death!  I've never been in water in a situation that scared me like that before.  That technique is obviously one that requires a lot of practice, now I totally understand why every single time I've been on the water at Rock Cut State Park, there has been someone in a kayak practicing rolling.  Over and over and over.

So now, as I'm typing this, I'm sitting in the chair and my hips are sore, my back is sore and I am exhausted!  Much like last weekend when I got home from Rock Cut, but for very different reasons.  I'm probably a little sore from my core class and a lot sore from my fiasco in the water today!  It also is one of the first really nice summer days we've had in Northern Ill.  I went out by myself to learn something new and after all that, I had a great time and I'm glad I went!  Maybe next year, I'll be back with my own boat and get in the rolling competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment