Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sandy Shores, Steak and Cinnamon Rolls

So by now you've probably read about all the fun during our weekend at Silver Lake for Father's Day.  We did actually camp while we were there, at Sandy Shores Family Campground.  What a great campground!  This is one of the nicest, if not THE nicest campground we've ever stayed at.

They have nice paved roads all through the campground, no speeding allowed!  Bath houses that are newer and clean, clean at all times.  They actually smell clean too!  Anyone that follows my blog knows by now that we no longer tent camp BUT staying at a campground with a nice bath house is always a plus.  Even though we have a camper with a bathroom, if we are somewhere with a nice bath house we use that instead.  It's just easier and it's less for me to clean after we get home.  They have full hook up sites too, another bonus!  Guests at Sandy Shores have access to their private stretch of beach right across the street from the campground.  That was my favorite part, for sure!  The beach was really nice, not too crowded and just right across the street.

We made a long weekend of it since it was Father's Day, Thursday to Monday.  Sometimes, one of the best parts of camping is eating!  I usually feed my family pretty good (all boys = big eaters) but during the craziness of summer activities, especially the first six weeks of summer, home cooked dinners tend to go by the wayside.  Camping provides us an opportunity to eat good dinners again! 

Steak kabobs
Dinner Friday night was steak and shrimp kabobs on our new Coleman grill.  The grill was the husband's Father's Day gift.  Usually I make my own marinade but I was pressed for time so I used Newman's Own dressing to marinate the meat this time around.  It was DE-lish!  I'm not a beef eater so that review comes directly from my family.

One of my Dad's favorite treats...cinnamon rolls!  I always make cinnamon rolls for my kids when we camp.  When we got a trailer and oven, it became one of our must have camping treats, I guess because I never make them at home.  Usually just out of a can too, but because it was FD I made homemade rolls.


First time I've ever done it but it was super easy.  I got the recipe from a blog I follow, Sally's Baking Addiction.   I made them at home before we left and they were a big hit! Here's the recipe.

Sandy Shores is five minutes from everything.  The bike path is right outside the entrance which allows for a quick easy ride to the ice cream shop, pizza place and all the go karts and rides, etc.  Yep, there is all that stuff too, we don't do that but it is there.  It was also fun to sit around the fire and watch the parade of vehicles going to and from the dunes.  That in itself was almost endless entertainment.

We've been at many campgrounds that have permanent sites or seasonal sites.  That isn't appealing to us, we like to go to new places and revisit our favorites.  I can see why someone would want something like that at Sandy Shores.  It's such a picturesque area with so much fun to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment